Over the past year, the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19, has infected more than 33 million people and claimed more than half a million lives in the United States alone. Now, as the vaccine becomes readily available and cases decrease across the country, many states are removing restrictions and mask mandates.This means that the responsibility of enforcing COVID-related safety measures falls to private businesses and local governments.
The beauty services industry was dramatically affected by COVID-19. According to McKinsey & Company, about 30 percent of the beauty-industry market was shut down as a result of the pandemic. Beauty salons, spas and barber shops pose a particular risk when it comes to spreading COVID-19—a respiratory disease that can be transmitted through tiny droplets emitted when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or breathes heavily.
Because staff and clients in such establishments maintain close proximity and the nature of the services often mean wearing facial coverings is impossible, salons need to take extra precautions to protect the health of employees and customers.
The CDC has released a list of guidelines for beauty salons, hair salons, and barbershops to limit the spread of COVID-19, including:
- Asking employees who are sick or who have been in close contact with a sick person to stay home.
- Requiring virtual health checks for employees and clients.
- Redesigning work stations so employees are at least 6 feet apart and are not facing one another while working with clients.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently-touched surfaces.
- Constructing barriers where possible.
- Promoting touchless payment systems.
- Discouraging the use of personal fans and blow dryers.
- Adjusting the ventilation so that maximum airflow is possible and humidity is maintained at 40-60 percent.
For the full list of CDC recommendations, click here.
Life Balance Technologies helps hospitals and other companies easily analyze airborne infection control conditions and effectively manage their HVAC systems. By streamlining the process for compliance, auditing, and reporting, we help reduce costs and save lives.