Spring is right around the corner, and many homeowners and business owners have a running project list they want to accomplish as soon as the weather warms. With more Americans spending time indoors than ever before as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, many of our homes and businesses are overdue for a spring cleaning.
One important factor to consider when spring cleaning your home or business your heating, ventilation and air conditioning system. After a year of watching the world battle an airborne disease, the importance of air quality has never been more apparent.
It is easy to underestimate the critical role your HVAC system plays until something goes wrong. Here are five preventative HVAC maintenance measures you can take while preparing your building for the spring and summer seasons.
- Clean air vents and floor registers. Over time, dirt, debris, pet hair and more can build up inside these vents and affect the quality of the air you breathe. Use a vacuum and a cleaning rag with mild soapy water to get those vents and registers squeaky clean.
- Change filters. HVAC filters should be replaced about every 90 days to keep the heat and air conditioning system working well. For pet owners or individuals with allergies, asthma, or other sensitivities, they can be replaced even more often.
- Clean your exterior AC unit. During the fall and winter months, leaves and sticks and other debris can build up in and around your exterior unit. To clean the condenser, you will need to turn off power to the unit and carefully vacuum around the fins. You should also ensure the grass and vegetation is trimmed around the unit.
- Adjust the thermostat. If you own a programmable thermostat, it’s time to set up a new program to accommodate the changing weather. This will increase energy efficiency and savings.
- Test and upgrade HVAC systems. Hire a professional to test and update HVAC components to ensure air is being filtered properly and is flowing appropriately.
Life Balance Technologies helps hospitals and other companies easily analyze air quality conditions and effectively manage their HVAC systems. By streamlining the process for compliance, auditing, and reporting, we help reduce costs and save lives.